Our Story & Materials
My name is Adam Maqboul and I'm the founder and sole artisan here at 80Proof Goods.
During the early days of the pandemic in 2020, I started experimenting with leathercraft after purchasing a Cricut Maker (a machine that cut vinyl, fabic, and other materials) for my wife. I decided to try my hand at making a wallet using cheap scrap leather, which turned out absolutely terrible - usable, but terrible. I was determined to make a good one. After several attempts, one finally came out with decent stitching and acceptable edges. I used it for a while as I went on the hunt for good leather.
After months of research and trial and error with different leather types, thicknesses and temperments, I landed on a series of full-grain leather hides that I knew I wanted to build a business around - our Minerva and Pull-Up leathers. While designing a few of my own products, like our Notebook Cover and Slim Minimalist Card Holder, I found myself hunched over my small thrifted drafting desk with a glass of whiskey for hours after coming home from a full-time job.
Fastforward to the summer of 2020, 80Proof Goods was born. We added a Glowforge to our workflow, launched a website, bought more whiskey, and hunkered down to try make this a sustainable, eventually full-time, business. I quit my day job October 2021 and took this business full-time.
Thank you for taking the time to check out my work and for supporting my small business.
80Proof Goods is dedicated to handcrafting high-quality, full-grain leather goods; made with a glass of whiskey.
- Adam Maqboul
• full-grain Italian leather, imported from Tuscany
• smooth, soft texture
• vibrant pigment with matte finish
• patinas beautifully with a rich, deep color and slight sheen
• exclusively used in 3.5-4oz thickness
HARVEST & OLD TOWN
• full-grain pull-up leather that leaves beautiful light streaks when it creases
• water resistant smooth waxed top
• scratches easily buff out
• rustic and vintage appearances
• patinas beautifully while staying true to it's color overtime
• mostly used in 5.5oz thickness
• chosen for it's durability and wear that lasts for a lifetime
• primarily used for our Belts & Coasters
• smooth finish with tight, waxed flesh side
• patinas beautifully with a dark, slightly wrinkled finish that tells a story
• exclusively used in 8-10oz thickness.